Thursday, July 26, 2007

The Fair

Why is it when a small town has a fair or festival of some kind, every crazy, white trash, creepy person tends to come out of the woodwork? I mean really... We live in a small, country town. For the most part the people here are nice, hardworking, easy going folks. Most of them you wouldn't mind having a beer with or what not. But every year our County Fair comes and turns our little town into this bustling hive of white trash people. I was forced to take my daughter to said fair because we basically drive by it on the way out of town. She saw the ferris wheel and that was it. So we took her yesterday and I can't even tell you the amount of tattoos and mullets we saw in the 2 hrs we were there. I mean not to stereotype someone, but all of these people looked like felons or child molesters. And all the people that worked the rides were Mexican! Now I don't really have anything against Mexicans. But I can remember going to this same fair when I was a kid and everything was run by kids looking for a fun summer job or local people selling their crafts or food or whatever. Maybe it just seemed that way because I was a kid. But anyway, not one person running the rides could speak a full sentence in English. It was kind of frustrating. It just made me realize how much things have changed. The Girl was curious, excited, elated, and completely thrilled by the whole thing. Her eyes were just about popping out of her head trying to get it all in. So I guess the trip wasn't a waste of time, just a disappointment for us adults. The Girl even got to go to the 4-H tent and pet a cow and hold a goat. This was very big for her. I think we will be getting a goat if she has her way. Just kidding. I will not have a goat. A farmer I do not want to be. Besides the Mexicans, the overpriced rides, the lack of decent food, the scary locals, it wasn't a bad afternoon to be had, but next year maybe we'll go camping instead.

No comments: