Thursday, January 22, 2009

Coming to Terms

I've recently been re-evaluating some of my relationships. Thanks to therapy and just taking some time away from a certain friend of mine, I've come to realize that I put a LOT more effort into my friendships than some people do. I want to fix my friends or family and it ultimately leaves me feeling hurt, mad, sad, and under appreciated when the person I'm putting all this effort into doesn't reciprocate in the friendship. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that my friend is very self centered. She just is not capable of being an open, sharing, caring, concerned friend. I'm always hoping she will change and become this person that I know she can be, but it just never happens. After talking to a mutual friend of ours, she confirmed what I am just realizing. She said that it had NEVER been about anyone but this person. I found some comfort in this. Like at least it's not just me feeling this way or seeing these traits. It still hurts though knowing that I'm growing as a person and she is not. And that nothing I do or say is going to make her see her own potential and strive for it. So I am moving on with my life and she eventually will just be an occasional friend. This becoming an adult, finding my path, and striving to be better thing is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

No comments: