Sunday, October 7, 2007

Random thoughts...

OK so every now and then I get the privilege of ending up in my car alone. No child screaming about her "car songs" or a husband telling me that we need to stop here, here, and here. I just get to drive on a sunny day with MY music blaring, windows cracked and sunroof open and singing at the top of my lungs. This was the case on Sat. morning. Thank you Lord, powers that be, Buddha, or whoever. To be honest this is absolutely my most favorite thing in the world to do. I love driving and singing and just letting my mind wander while I take the back, country roads to get wherever it is I'm trying to go. I love long, winding roads, and the beautiful colors changing in the trees. I can't even tell you how wonderful upstate NY is in the fall. The air smells fresh, the sun is bright, and the sky is this magnificent blue. Anyway, while I was out by myself experiencing all of NY's slender, my mind wandered. I was thinking about the songs I was listening to and that music is such an important part of my life. Then I began to think about what songs would be the soundtrack of my life. I've got a bunch, that if ever my life was made into a movie or something, would be the perfect soundtrack. From birth to say, age 12, it would have to be Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Growing, learning, but in the dark about so many things, powerful, yet weak. That's how that song makes me feel. From 12 yr old to about 17, it would have to be a combination of Prince--Little Red Corvette, Madonna-Papa Don't Preach , Skid Row-18 and Life, Grateful Dead -Sugar Magnolia, Truckin, The Doors--any song at all, Poison-Every Rose Has It's Thorn, Motley Crue -Without You, Dr Feelgood, and any music from Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera. During my teen years. I was so torn as to what I wanted to be, who I was, where I was going, and how in the world would I ever amount to what my parents wanted me to amount to. So many of these songs spoke to my heart during those years. After age 17 I kind of downward spiraled. My mom went nuts and so did I. I moved out and dyed my hair purple with some blue in it and tore all my clothes. Nirvana--Smells Like Teen Spirit was my anthem along with any Pearly Jam song. I drank, got high, slept with way to many not so nice guys. This lasted until I was about 20. Then a whole new me came out. The feminine, strong me. The I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR me. Sarah Mclaughlan, Tori Amos, Alaniss Morrisette, Bjork, Cranberries all became my heros. If it wasn't for Tori Amos Little Earthquakes album I would never have found the relationship I now have with my sister. To this day I still listen to Tori, Sarah and the lot, and just feel totally empowered. As for now, my music tastes have evolved. At least I hope so. I really love rock. Indie rock, hard rock, or whatever you want to call all the different genres. Blue October, Jack Johnson, Paolo Nutini, all touch my soul these days. Along with Yellowcard and Plain White T's. Oh my God, if you want to cry just listen to Yellowcard's Dear Bobbie and try not to cry. What a great song.....Well anywho, I totally have gone off here. You now know or at least have an idea about the soundtrack of my life. See what a couple hours of free time in my car can produce.....peace, love, and good music to you all!

No comments: